Because lithium-ion batteries are designed to provide high levels of power,the electrical energy in these batteries is significant, meaning that such batteries can sometimes generate a great amount of heat if short-circuited. Not to mention, the chemical contents of these batteries may catch fire if damaged or if improperly designed or assembled. For these reasons, there are safety regulations controlling the shipment of these types of batteries.
Proper Packaging Guidelines:
- All batteries should be packed to eliminate the possibility of a short-circuit or activation.
- Ensure no batteries come in contact with other batteries, conductive surfaces or metal objects while in transport.
- IATA regulations require packing cells and batteries in fully enclosed inner packaging made of non-conductive material (e.g., plastic bags) and ensuring that exposed terminals or connectors are protected with non-conductive caps or tape or by other similar means.
- Using packing material to prevent shifting during transport or loosening of terminal caps
- Do not use envelopes or other soft-sided packs.
Packages are required to be accompanied by documentation that must state the following:
- The package must be handled with care because a fire hazard exists if it is damaged.*
- Special procedures are to be followed if the package is damaged, to include inspection and repacking if necessary.
- A telephone number for additional information.
*Additional fees may apply when processing shipments containing lithium batteries.
If you plan on shipping products that contain Lithium-ion Batteries please notify your Happiness Engineer so they can mark the SKUs accordingly which will prompt the packers to utilize the correct packaging and limit your shipping methods to the following approved methods:
Battery Shipping Methods
- DHL Lightweight Ground
- DHL Expedited (only if contained in equipment
- FedEx SmartPost
- FedEx Ground
- UPS Ground
- DHL Packet Plus (only to Canada)
- DHL Express
- FedEx Priority Mail
- USPS First Class Mail
- USPS Priority Mail International
For additional information, find your carrier of choice below and click the hyperlink for a complete overview of their requirements for shipping batteries:
*NOTE* Attached below is a printable infographic of this article (in PDF format)