The process of tracing a group of products throughout the supply chain from start to finish, commonly known as lot tracking, can be an incredibly useful tool to an eCommerce business. The process is most commonly used with perishable goods but can be used with any good. Lot Tracking can be used to narrow down the source of issues, identify inventory trends, avoid spoilage, understand actual landing cost, and much more. At ShipMonk we offer lot tracking via a feature called Lot Control. Once Lot Control is enabled we will track the Lot/Expiration Date of the designated SKUs and different Lots/Expiration Dates will be stored separately and picked from oldest to newest.
Step 1. To enable Lot Control, contact your Happiness Engineer and let them know whether you would like your account-level settings to record Expiration Date, Lot Number, or both.
Step 2. Once it has been enabled, you can visit the Product Detail Page of any SKU and will see a new section called Lot Control Settings on the Information Tab.
Step 3. If you want us to track the Lots and/or Expiration Dates of the product slide the button across.
Step 4. Once you have enabled Lot Control on the SKU you’ll be presented with the choice to use the settings that your Happiness Engineer set up on your Account or override these settings and determine what is tracked for that specific product.
Step 5. If you choose to Override the Account Settings you’ll need to check off which fields you want to be tracked for the SKU in question.
1. Once enabled when will you start tracking the Lots/Expiration dates of my Products? We will register the Lots and/or Expiration Dates of SKUs for which Lot Control has been enabled during all future Receiving of those SKUs. Any products currently at ShipMonk will be listed as having an unknown Lot.
2. Can I see the number of units I have of each Lot/Expiration Date in ShipMonk? In the Inventory tab of the Product Detail page, you can see a breakdown of the number of units of each Lot/Expiration Date in each warehouse.
3. Can I see the Lot/Expiration Date of the unit that was shipped on each order? For each product that Lot Control has been enabled the lot number is available in the Product Information section of the Order Detail page. It can be seen by hovering over the tag icon next to the SKU.
4. Do you practice First In First Out (FIFO)? For products that have enabled Lot Control our system will only allow the products with the earliest Expiration Date to be replenished to the picking floor and then picked. If there is no Expiration Date then we will the lots in the order in which they were created within our system (when the Lot was first received). If you already have units of the SKU with us when you enable Lot Control we will pick the unknown product first.
5. Is there a cost related to Lot Control? Once enabled we charge $0.50 per carton received of Lot Control products for the additional labor required during the receiving process.